One of the most important aspects of performing at our peak, is adhering to a solid routine. This routine brings with it a structure that we don’t have to think about, allows us to focus and reserve our emotional capital for the trading session. There is no right or wrong routine but in general we want to have some physical exercise, some mental calmness and a focus on our performance. Here’s a run down of our morning routine.
- 6:30 – wake – turn computers on – enjoy some coffee
- 6:45 – read news (Seeking Alpha Wall Street Breakfast and CNBC Market Insider Stocks Making the Biggest moves Pre-market)
- 7:00 – exercise
- 7:00 – community – watch market related YouTube content such as SMB Capital
- 7:30 – community – Bear Bull Traders Pre-market Show
- 7:45 – scanner – Tradingview scanner
- 8:00 – analysis – Mark up our selected stocks for the session
- 8:15 – plan – fill out our trading plan template
- 8:25 – prep the office – lighting – music – settle in to trade
What we do in this routine can vary and we are always looking to grow but you can see it follows a pattern.
- Physiology – exercise to get our mind right
- Source – looking for opportunities and understanding the broader market landscape
- Analysis – apply technical analysis and other criteria to our stocks of interest
- Select – choose the stocks that are the best fit for our edge
- Plan – formalize all of this into a trade plan
- Execute and Manage – all the components of following our trade plan
One of the keys for us, is that the morning is focused on trading. Other inputs are not allowed. We don’t get on social media, watch or read non-market related news. The morning is about prepping to work at our craft.